PON-X® Exploring Future PON
Passive optical network (PON) is a high-speed, cost efficient optical communications technology for delivering broadband network access services. PON optical distribution networks use a single fiber to travel the longer distance from a telecom operator’s central exchange optical line terminal (OLT) to a community of broadband users. A splitter is then used to provide multiple fibers that serve an optical networking unit (ONU) box to an individual home or business.
Figure 1. Typical PON network topology
PON systems are typically used for deployment of high-speed fiber to the home (FTTh) broadband services.
PON systems can also be used for small scale optical home/office networks fibre to the room (FTTr) and as a scalable/cost effective copper LAN replacement in larger offices and campus networks passive optical LAN (POL).
Future Services Enabled by PON Networks
- Ultra-high definition TV and video on demand
- Online gaming
- Augmented reality
- Smart home
- Smart office
- Optical LAN
How does Semtech Enable PON Systems?
Semtech supplies ITU and IEEE standards-compliant laser driver/limiting amplifiers (combos) and low noise transimpedance amplifier (TIA) ICs for PON ONUs and OLTs.
Semtech PON OLT Solutions
Highly integrated standards compliant OLT burst mode IC’s for cost and space efficient design of PON OLT modules.
- GN7053 GPON Burst Mode TIA
- GN7055B XGS-PON Burst Mode TIA
- GN7056 10GEPON Burst Mode TIA
- GN25L99 GPON OLT Combo
- GN7153B XGS-PON OLT Combo
- GN7154 10GEPON OLT Combo
- GN7155B XG-PON OLT Combo
Semtech PON ONU Solutions
High sensitivity and low cost ONU TIA’s, innovative burst mode ONU combo’s.
- GN25L54 GPON Super TIA
- GN7069 10G PON ONU APD TIA
- GN25L95 GPON ONU Combo
- GN25L96 GPON ONU Combo with Advanced Eye Shaping
- GN25L98 GPON ONU Combo with APD Controller
- GN28L95 Asymmetric 10G ONU Combo
- GN28L96 Symmetric 10G ONU Combo
- GN28L97B Asymmetric 10G ONU Combo with Advanced Eye Shaping